Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thurday, September 4 - Historical Accuracy


                                                            The Martians

           "I like this one," I say. My mother and I are in a local clothing store in New York. She glances at my light blue, high necked dress. It hits right below my knees. I have a white jacket with a ruffled neckline over the top. My mother smiles approvingly. She says,"That should do for the party tonight." I almost feel guilty as the cashier rings up the clothes. Money has been tight since the stock market crash started a few years ago- it is 1932 right now. My father was unfortunately a banker when it happened. Thank goodness we got out hands on our money before it was all gone. As we start to head out the door, an urgent voice comes on the radio that is in the corner of the shop. My mothers blue eyes look at me concerned. " Stay where you are!",the voice says, " There has been speculation of an extraterrestrial species atop the Empire State Building!". I clicked my tan heels on the ground nervously. These things have become more prominent in our society since the crash. People seem to only believe that something out of this world could cause it. "Let's just go," my mother says rolling her eyes. These things are merely fictional to her. We are stopped dead in our trackers when we open the door of the shop. Outside, it is as if it is the day of the crash all over again. Hysteria.
         People are running and frantically screaming. Oddly people are physically fighting everywhere. Police block the streets and the store we are in. Their whistles only all to the chaos. What is happening I think. The police sees us trying to get out and he pushes us on the shoulders roughly back. If we were men he would not be handling us like that. He informs us the rumors are true and an entire team of police has already been killed by the Martians. "They are somehow controlling people," I vaguely here the officer say. All the sudden my vision and mind go blurry, a voice so foreign and disturbing rings in my head. Your mother will die if you do not kill that officer it tells me. I am scared but it is as if everything is underwater now and in slow motion. I have no control over my body. I am screaming for help but no one hears me. I see my hands grab a pair of scissors that are on a table beside the sewing machine in the store. I try to put the back but my hands only grip them tighter. I see my feet running to the officer. I don't want this! Get away from me! He can't hear me. Since you would not corporate I had to take control of your body, don't worry this is only temporary. Our species needs to wipe out every force of power in this country before we can take control. My mother and the officer are still talking and don't notice me coming behind them. Right before the scissors are buried in the officers neck, I mentally push this force in my mind away with all my might. It only gives me a second but now the scissors are coming towards me I see blood and hear my mother yelling at the officer to help her. She is crying. I smile at her then everything goes dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment